2 weeks and moving forward

The house is quiet….the cherubs have gone to spend a few days with my sister.  She has wanted them to visit for a while now and with the recovery the time seemed perfect.  I feel bad that they were just stuck sitting around with me, and honestly they have been driving me crazy!  My sister lives at the Jersey Shore (not the Snookie shore).  It should be a fun couple of days for the three of them…I hope :-)!

So some updates. My abdominal incision is really healing nicely.  Still very sore on the left side because of that annoying ever-present drain but other than that very pleased with the way that it is healing.  The boobs are another story.  They are growing more and more uncomfortable with each passing day.  I think there are two reasons for this, first the swelling is going down so the feeling is coming back and they have been through a lot!  I think the other reason is a bit self-induced.  I really tried to be the super woman and go oxy free.  I think that also may account for many of the tears lately.  I realize that maybe being the martyr is not good for anyone.

My mobility is progressing nicely.  I can lift my right arm fully above my head and the left is close.  Thankfully my back is also feeling much better.

I tried to shower the other day.  I was cleared to do such AS LONG as I was able to keep the remaining drain completely dry.  I really really wanted to shower. I tried to cover it with plastic but was still concerned the tape would give.  Instead of a full shower I had to just use the handheld shower nozzle…still the best washing I have been able to manage but I would really love to stand under the running warm water of a shower!  I am back at the doctor Wednesday and high hopes that the drain comes out.

I am still wrapping my head around the fact that after all that agonizing waiting, two weeks ago today I had a Bilateral Prophylactic Mastectomy.  And if that was not enough, at the same time had my abdomen cut from one end to the other , (DIEP Flap) in order to  “relocate”  flesh to build the newbies.  And although I have had periods of self-pity, sadness and  moodiness  I and fully aware of how well I am healing and fell totally empowered and in full control of my future!

3 thoughts on “2 weeks and moving forward”

  1. Did your surgeon or nurse tell you why you had to keep your drain completely dry? I was able to shower and get my drains wet upon discharge from the hospital. I have read a few other women’s blogs and find that to be the same, also. I understand every scenario is different; just find it interesting that after 2 weeks out you’d still have to keep it dry (with the risk of infection being so low).

    Also, I was discharged with these adhesive plastic-y things to put over my noobs when I still needed to keep the incisions dry my first week home. But my surgeon told me after my first week I could discontinue that and let them get wet.

    1. The only concern was the drain and all he said was water could get in. At the time I did not think to really question since I was so thrilled to have the other three removed. Does not make to much sense to me but thankfully I am back in 2 days.

  2. You are amazing! And you look wonderful! Let me know when is a good time to come by this weekend. I would love to visit. Anytime you need to talk or need ANYTHING we are here!! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s