Not all coughs are pneumonia

So the epidemic continues. After having Madison home sick from school Friday and through the weekend, she was even worse on Monday.  We had been to the doctor on Friday and at that point he determined it was a virus that needed to run its course.  By Monday her once harmless yet annoying hacking cough had become a wet and somewhat alarming cough.  Her fever had once again spiked over 101 degrees.

We got an appointment for 4:30 so poor Megan had to tag along with us.  We walked into a room FULL of people.  We did not get called back until close to 5:30.  We received apologies from everyone which honestly were not needed.  I have never called the pediatrician and not been able to bring the girls over same day.  With all of the sickness in the area right now I was happy to be seen!  I was caught off guard when the doctor said that she could hear a little fluid in the lungs and would like to have a chest X-ray done.  She started antibiotic in the meantime and off we went.

I dropped Megan at home, by now it was 6pm and Frank was home from work.  Madison and I rushed over to the radiologists since they were due to close at 7pm.  We were there for just under and hour.  By the time we got home my poor 6 year old was exhausted and starving since she had not had dinner.  Frank thankfully had something ready when we walked in.

We received the call today, no pneumonia!  I am continuing the antibiotic because there has been good improvement in Madison since they were started.  Maybe it is just coincidence but I am not risking it!  I hope to have Madi back to school tomorrow!

I also received a call from my doctor.  The CA-125 blood work returned and it was normal.  The biopsy will not be back until next week.  I guess if we were keeping score, this day could be filed as a good one.

It has been a long week

I am tired.

I have been to the pediatrician twice this week, had a follow-up with the plastic surgeon and an endometrial biopsy all while the hubby has been out-of-town for work.

It could always be worse!

So, I had my little one home sick today with fever and sore throat.  Thankfully does not seem to be strep so just keeping her loaded up with Motrin and we will wait it out.  Megan continues to have sinus issues, an ENT visit is probably in the near future.  I need to get both of them healthy in the next 35 days…that is the official Disney countdown!  Tomorrow is my nieces birthday and the girls have been looking forward to it since we found out the date.  It is to be a bowling party.  I will evaluate everyone’s condition in the morning.  I hope to be able to go for at least a little while.  FIngers crossed.

My visit with the plastic surgeon was uneventful.  I am still not fully finished with him.  I still have some discomfort from the scare line on the right side.  We agreed to one more appointment in 3 months to make sure that scare settles.

The biopsy was also pretty uneventful.  I do not know if I have a high pain threshold or after the experiences of the last years surgeries, the many years of breast biopsies or child birth but it was really nothing.  It seems that they schedule for at least 30 minutes and often get a bunch of whining, squirming and requests for breaks.  Since we did not have any of that we finished pretty quickly so with the extra time the doctor drew the blood work for the CA-125.  That saves me a trip to the lab!  We did discuss the lack of reliability of the blood work and she explained that it is just part of the puzzle.  I get it and agree.  The blood results should be back next week, 10-14 days on the biopsy.  Until then, I have plenty of other things to think about.